Sunday 1 March 2020

Sun glasses

Thinking more about the cold than the sun, I did not think to take my sun hat to Hampton Court Palace today, which might have been a problem had we spent more time outside than we actually did.

But I was interested, on coming home, to come across these Inuit sun glasses in the book noticed a few minutes ago and at reference 1 - having often wondered what they did to stop themselves being blinded by the continual glare of the sun off the snow. Not to mention the great expanse of clear blue sky - which I find a problem at the seaside these days.

With thanks to the London Review of Books for this use of their copy of the picture - a picture which is also to be found in Delbourgo - to which extent I have already paid for it. The thing itself is probably to be found somewhere in one of our London museums.

But where did the wood to make it come from? It looks too dark to me to be pine or birch, and you would need to go a fair way south from the North Pole to find anything else.

Reference 1: https://psmv3.blogspot.com/search?q=delbourgo.

Group search key: hcc.

No comments:

Post a Comment