Friday 27 March 2020

Brick scene

48 bricks moved today, 32 in the morning and 16 in the afternoon, which I compute to be 6.384km. Perhaps they ought to score rather more as half of it is gently uphill, say more uphill than travelling south down Longmead Road but less uphill than travelling east up West Hill.

The bricks come in at least three sorts: LBC stocks with frog and at least two sorts of older bricks without frogs. I am starting to recognise individual bricks, and I shall see how that develops over the days to come. But I think I will end up by naming, numbering or lettering them. Emulsion, undercoat or gloss? And if numbering shall it be Roman or Arabic?

Which will make organising my thoughts about the bricks much easier. Which leads to wondering about when names were invented. More or less at the same time as language, or were names a few hundred thousand years down the line?

Meanwhile, three mouse traps set again this evening. Regarding which, we learn that the Siamese cat next door has been bringing in small mice, perhaps juveniles from the same nest, for the last few days. Did we get one of the parents last night?

No comments:

Post a Comment