Friday 27 March 2020

Grimm tales

ITV3 had taken to interspersing our evening shots of detective drama with lurid and unpleasant pictures of animals in distress from around the world. Mainly, I think, from the donkey people and the RSPCA. However, while I am sorry that there are so many animals in distress and so many humans that cause or tolerate such distress, such advertisements make it less rather than more likely that I will donate any money to the causes concerned. I do not care for my tree to be shaken in quite this way when I am taking my evening Poirot with a drop of something that warms.

I suspect one factor here is that Google & Facebook having siphoned off a large proportion of the advertisers and advertising revenues that used to go to the likes of ITV3, rates have come down and charities can better afford to plug the gaps.

In any event, I feel I am empowered to share this rather grim snap of rodent action. Three (rather than the two advertised) traps set with small bits of crust from home-made, wholemeal bread (which I find works better than the cheese of children's stories): one untouched, one sprung and one successful. Rather a fat mouse to my mind. Perhaps the parsnip that BH found yesterday was not the first.

My guess is that there was just the one mouse, but I shall set the traps again this evening, just in case.

PS: I remember being told years ago, in the margins of some IT conference or other, by a chap who worked for a household-name food canner, that you will never stop rodents getting into large food stores. They will always find a way. And now it is irritating me that I cannot recover the name in question, despite best endeavours with Bing. Sherwood sticks in the mind but they sell meat rather than tins, while Sharwood sells the wrong sort of food.

Reference 1: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2020/03/rodent-action.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment