Monday 16 March 2020

Dry run

Today was a dry run for being confined to quarters, which involved walking up and down the garden instead of, for example, the Ewell Village anti-clockwise. From gmaps, I estimate it to be around 67m from brick compost bin to the road, so a round trip of 133m. 16 of those a day and I am clocking up something in excess of 2k, 64 and I am doing my usual walk.

Experience so far is that it is a lot better than using a treadmill at a gym (not that I ever have) and not nearly as dull as one might at first think. I now know the state of our garden a lot better than I did. Plus there are plenty of spring flowers of one sort or another. Plus a sprinkling of coal tits.

I also found that moving a small pile of bricks, 16 of them, from one place to another, one brick at a time, was a good way of keeping count. Plus it provided a bit of additional interest. Plus I was able to co-opt some child labour for part of the session. It might be appropriate to visit a few more skips to get some more bricks.

Then given that I had been impressed by their Bermondsey operation, as noticed at reference 2, and the fact that I am getting a bit twitchy about unnecessary use of big railway stations - like Waterloo and Clapham Junction - the dry run also involved ordering some mail order Lincolnshire Poacher from reference 1, my regular cheesemonger. I failed to create an account, but I think I have ordered my usual ration of cheese. We will see what turns up. Hopefully I will not be reduced to supermarket cheese.

Hopefully also Waitrose will not run out of the bread flour that I use and have got used to. I dare say there will always be something somewhere, but each new flour needs to be broken in and there can be a few duds on the way. Relatively speaking at least.

Reference 1: https://www.nealsyarddairy.co.uk/.

Reference 2: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2019/08/east-pole.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment