Tuesday 28 January 2020

Ulmer Münster

Just been reading about Ulm Minster in 'Germania', noticed yesterday at reference 1, with the Minster being the subject of references 2 and 3. It seems that this largely brick structure, started in the middle ages but not completed until the late nineteenth century, was once the fifth tallest building in the world. Left the Roman fold early in the sixteenth century and now of the Evangelical-Lutheran persuasion - rather disturbing my assumption that north Germans were prots and south Germans were papists.

The author of Germania managed all 750 or so steps to the top of the steeple, while I am quite sure that while I could probably still manage the steps if I took them slowly, I almost certainly could not manage the attendant vertigo.

Google - showing right spire left and west
Wikipedia - looking south
Inside the spire - one
Inside the spire - two
Nice picture but wrong spire
It took me a while to work out that the last of the snaps above was the wrong spire, that is to say one of the two on top of the twin east towers, perhaps spanning what we would call the crossing.

While the right spire looks all far too open plan for me. I can manage the similarly open plan staircase to the new gallery in the triforium of Westminster Abbey, but that is very much lower and a proper staircase, such as might be found in a regular building. I don't think I could manage very much of this one at all.

Reference 1: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2020/01/history-by-enumeration.html.

Reference 2: https://www.ulmer-muenster.de/.

Reference 3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulm_Minster.

No comments:

Post a Comment