Sunday 26 January 2020

Fake 98

Fake 98 came with an important communication from UK Power Networks, in the form of printing a fake curled up page corner bottom right. A device sometimes used by the software which browses books and book-like objects online, to remind one that pages can be turned.

Which some part of my brain might have known all about, but it took BH to observe that what I am calling a fake was actually a hint to turn the page over to look at the important information there, helpful information about what to do before the scheduled power cut and what to do afterwards.

Helpful information which did not say anything about the electrical aspects of gas central heating boilers, owned by nearly all the recipients of this communication. Which I thought careless, if not sloppy, on the part of the Power Networks people. I shall phone up my (rather expensive) gas helpline people tomorrow.

PS: Monday morning: I don't seem to get a telephone number with my gas service, in the way that I do with BT. But along with everyone else, I do get invited to chat. Which did well enough, and the advice was to disconnect the power from the control unit (on the wall, next to the boiler) before the cut starts and reconnect it when the power comes back. Using the switched 13 amp socket into which the unit is plugged for the purpose. They tell me that everything will spring back into life when I reconnect. We shall see. And while the chat system has its points, it is not the same as talking to someone who sounds like they know what they are talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment