Tuesday 12 November 2019

Polonia

Bing had heard of the Polonia restaurant mentioned in the previous post, but not on account of its cuisine. It seems rather that its sign was a worthy example of the sign design of its time. See reference 1.

By the time I got to Google, I had got the spelling right, and while he knows nothing about the place in Grosvenor Gardens, he does tell me about a place in Chesterton Road in Cambridge, not far from where I lived when I was very small. A place to be checked out next time we are in town. See reference 2.

I could also get a selfie outside the branch of Barclay's bank which has replaced the semi-detached house we used to live in, near both Chesterton Road and what used to be called Mitcham's Corner, a (two storey) department store now replaced by the (single storey) Belfast bed superstore. Possibly the same people as the Belfast linen of about the same era. There was also a proper baker, called Maskell's, although I doubt whether we ever used them at that time; that came much later. And knowing Cambridge, probably expensively converted into expensive flats, probably some decades ago now.

Reference 1: https://www.architecture.com/image-library/RIBApix/image-information/poster/polonia-restaurant-27-grosvenor-gardens-belgravia-london-the-restaurant-sign/posterid/RIBA59949.html.

Reference 2: https://www.klubpolonia.co.uk/.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jim, I don't know why you were interested in the Polonia but after the war my father, who was Polish, would take me there to drink lemon tea and eat cheesecake. I was emailing my much younger brother about this memory and looking up the Polonia on Google I came across your blog. I would have been there at about the time the photo was taken.

    ReplyDelete