Thursday 15 July 2021

A familiar object

Well not that familiar, but instantly recognisable, having done at least two of these in my time. Once in Cambridge as youngster, once in Epsom thirty years later. Maybe never again.

Rotary washing lines have always been part of my life, barring perhaps 10 of my 70 odd years, when I did bedsits, house shares, flatlets and flats. But from time to time they have to be renewed and it is a reasonable chance that the hole in the concrete plug used to hold it up no longer does the job, although once I found that slipping a suitable tube down the hole made it fit for the new line. More usually, one has to dig the old plug out and make a new one.

I remember the first one being quite a performance, necessitating cutting out a ramp on one side so that the plug could be tipped onto the ramp and then levered & hauled up the slope. Which was at least possible - which a vertical heave was not.

This one in the garden of our holiday cottage. Unusually, with a square rather than a round hole. Perhaps a foreign washing line, not designed to do the rotate bit of rotary. Rather poor quality concrete too.

No comments:

Post a Comment