Saturday 26 September 2020

No.22

No.22 was spotted on a small car, round and red, as I crested the hill coming up to the roundabout at the Bridge Road/Hook Road Junction. Not the place to take a photograph and I didn't get a good look at the maker's plaque, but possibly a Peugeot 208. Just about a week since No.21, noticed at reference 1.

Cold breeze, mainly northerly, although direction did seem to depend on the direction one was travelling. I was glad to have scarf, gloves and woolly under my jacket, but plenty of people were out and about with much less on. Men in shorts. Ladies with bare arms. And one young lady, perhaps 16 or 17, in Cox Lane, in Lycra shorts, bare legs, and a very skimpy white top, arms and middle showing. Must have had a youthful circulation. Or the youthful new fashion imperative.

Back in Epsom, what sounded like the Surrey police helicopter, deployed for the second day running.

PS 1: Cox Lane being what comes after Jubilee Way when running anti-clockwise.

PS 2: with an advertisement for Vauxhall Corsa's appearing in my gmail in-box just seconds after I had asked Bing whether the car in question was a Vauxhall Corsa. I had already decided that it was not.

PS 3: there was a piece in yesterday's FT about a polio epidemic in Cork in the 1950's. Similar to our present difficulties in the sense that polio is a very infectious disease which is asymptomatic nearly all the time - but which can result in long term damage or death. And a big difference was that it mainly affected very young people, rather than very old people. I can't now find the FT piece, but offer reference 2 instead.

PS 4: there is also a postscript to the remarks in reference 3 about the poverty of the conscious experience, about its riches not standing up to inspection. As I came up the hill to the roundabout, I was not thinking about car number plates at all. As far as I can remember, I was not looking out for them. Nevertheless, the brain was on the case, knew which number I was on, and pushed the red car with its number into consciousness. Evidence, if more were needed, that the unconscious is busy with all kinds of stuff.

Reference 1: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2020/09/progress.html.

Reference 2: https://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/the-1956-polio-epidemic-in-cork/.

Reference 3: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2020/09/pennies-and-elephants.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment