Monday 20 July 2020

Fake 108

The fake columns, properly pilasters

A couple of fake Ionic columns noticed this afternoon in the course of my second ride of the day. On a handsome building dating, as I learn from the helpful document at reference 2, from 1950. I would probably have guessed a little earlier as the windows are very much the same sort of thing as were on our house at the time we bought it, built, I think, in the 1930's. But with the war between, 1950 fair enough.

Detail of a window

Behind me, the terrace of the Faraday, with some custom. Around to the left, the Rifleman looking rather shut. Opposite there the strip club, also shut. Has the club been given a rent and rates holiday until it is able to open again? Perhaps they will hire their girls out to private functions (that is to say suburban barbecues) where people can at least pretend to be socially distancing. On which point, not many masks visible in town at 1700, but the new terrace outside Wetherspoons looked busy enough. Nearer home, the new terrace outside the Blenheim was empty.

Plaques

Orientating myself with gmaps back home, I noticed this building, just around the corner from where I had snapped the fakes. No.1 High Street, probably quite a handsome building when built, probably some time in the 19th century. Could look handsome again, given the right occupier. With the present point of interest being the three plaques. BH probably knows all about such things, so there may be an update later.

Reference 1: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2020/07/fake-107.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment