Friday 10 July 2020

Hallucination

A curious visual phenomenon this afternoon, certainly unusual if not unprecedented for me.

I was sitting out in the sheltered spot behind the garage, taking in a spot of afternoon sun after lunch.

Comfortably warm but not uncomfortably hot. No alcohol taken, sitting up reasonably straight in a garden chair, eyes shut and pointing more or less in the direction of the sun. The visual field as a whole was light rather than dark.

After a while and for a few minutes, I was presented with a flickering series of bits of diagram and bits of simple but neat drawings, looking as if they were done in coloured felt tip and looking as if they were parts of Powerpoint slides. The sort of thing you might get in a children's book: trees, plants, houses and people. Occasionally, something a bit more like a photograph. One of them chopped in half horizontally, the sort of thing you sometimes get when the computer is being a bit slow to load a picture from the Internet.
 
I was able to summon images, but I could not summon particular images and I could not control them when they were there. They just flickered their way through consciousness. Not aware of having been asleep, but was I coming to after a very light doze?

All very odd. I shall have to try again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment