Monday 27 July 2020

Blackberry jam


Talking about matters blackberry after the post at reference 1, BH reminded me that there was indeed something called bramble jelly. I guess I had rather blocked it out in favour of crab apple jelly, of which we used to make a good deal when I was young, having a reliable crab apple tree in our front garden, and of which I was rather fond. In the season we did maybe a small, 12oz pot a day. But ask Bing about it and he comes up with all kinds of stuff. It seems that all the big supermarkets sell it, all the big jam brands make it. Not to mention the artisan brands. And the fancy chefs.

Furthermore, according to reference 2, you don't need anything extra in the way of an E-number to make the jelly set. I had thought that maybe some pectin would be needed - either in the form of cooking apples or in that of something you buy from a health food store - as you do for strawberry jam. But, no, according to reference 2, just blackberries and sugar. Maybe we shall give it a try: I imagine it would be quite strong, but maybe it would be good on hot, buttered (white) toast - or even with cheese and biscuits in the way of manchego with quince jelly, as served in the better tapas joints, maybe somewhere like Tapas Brindisa in Borough.

On the other hand, while Amazon offers lots of pots of jam, ebay makes me the rather dear offer snapped above. I shall need to consult on what on earth the stuff might be for. The wonders of search engines! The clue for both Amazon and ebay being 'bramble jelly'.

PS: later: I now have the answer. A raw material for people who make quilts, with quilting being a big hobby in the US.


Reference 2: https://www.cuisinefiend.com/416/bramble-jelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment