Thursday 21 May 2020

Trolley 418

A M&S food hall trolley was captured at the bottom of the new Wetherspoon's smoking terrace, shortly after the start of today's Ewell by-pass anti-clockwise. Not far to take it to the front door of M&S, queue minded by M&S staff, so hopefully it will be taken in. Didn't take it around to the stack entrance because I hadn't got my keys and couldn't lock my bike. Plus I was more likely to get up close and personal with someone.

So trolley life has resumed, but I expect it will be a rather halting resumption.

A few minutes before, over the Meadway roundabout, which had been sheared, as per reference 2. A pity.

There seemed to be three stalls in the Thursday market, complete with elaborate queueing barriers - of a brand new to me. Perhaps the barrier people are clearing out their warehouses, just like the flour people.

Next stop the bicycle shop in Upper High Street. Can you do me some pedals better suited to cycling in regular shoes, with ribbed soles, than the pedals I have now, suited to cycling with toe clips? Preferably the chunky rubber affairs of my childhood, a small pair of which was to be seen on a child's bicycle in the window. No. Supply chain disrupted. Try again in a few weeks.

Next stop Halfords next to Sainsbury's at Kiln Lane - where a protected counter had been erected in the front entrance. Same question. No, although they did at least have some pedals other than the ones I already have. Try and find them on our web site and then book a slot to have them fitted. Which I might get around to - except that it probably means hanging around Kiln Lane for a while, with the Sainsbury's café shut, otherwise handy for a tea with newspaper.

Back onto East Street and carried on towards the Organ crossroads. A Sainsbury's trolley a few yards along - not captured because too far to walk with a bicycle, which I had found surprisingly awkward earlier.

I then moved from pedals to red flowers, which saw me home. Previously noticed at reference 3.

PS 1: regarding the flour people, today's story was that it was a packaging problem. Something about the 1.5kg paper bags being made in China and supply having been disrupted. And no Mr. Dyson of the paper bag world raring to charge into the breach.

PS 2: Halfords did not have what I wanted. But a little time with Bing turned up just the thing on ebay, described as 'Vintage road bike Union flat pedals' and even with postage a lot cheaper than most of the Halfords offerings. However, one catch is that they are second hand, so they might not be in the best condition. Another might be that the thread is vintage too and does not fit my crank. Another might be that I fail to get my current pedals off. Full report in due course.

Reference 1: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2020/03/trolley-417.html.

Reference 2: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2020/05/ewell-by-pass.html.

Reference 3: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2020/05/red-flower.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment