Thursday 28 May 2020

A stray thought


A stray thought, from yesterday evening or early this morning. To the effect that something like a big jet engine is not that unlike a human body. In the sense that it is made up of a relatively small number of large components, of gross components, connected together by a complicated maze of much smaller components, pipes and wires. Rather in the same way as the small number of large components in the body are connected together by a complicated maze of blood vessels, lymph nodes and nerves. These big engines certainly cost a great deal, maybe something more than £10m each, so perhaps their complexity is also approaching that of a human body.

With this particular engine brought to me by Google from the Seattle Times, who provided the caption: 'In 2014, Air New Zealand and Boeing showed off the first delivered 787-9 Dreamliner at Paine Field in Everett as finishing touches were put on the casing of a Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engine. (Mike Siegel/The Seattle Times)'.

PS: I am still struggling with inserting pictures into posts using the new Blogger client - if that is the proper term for the interface that I use - including getting into a pickle with the position of the previously posted pig. The thing that I type into - and which this morning I cannot persuade to wrap text around an engine. I also suspect that the new client still has a fair number of bugs in it, but whether or not I can be bothered to report them remains to be seen. I seem to remember from the past that Google engineers do pay attention to error reports which have been posted to the proper forum - if I can remember or otherwise bother to work out where that is. On the other hand, I have found out where they have put the HTML view button.

No comments:

Post a Comment