Monday 25 May 2020

Pique

Back in 2014, I was helped to a tweet of a peregrine falcon on top of what used to be the West Park Hospital water tower, an important event noticed at reference 1.

Since then, a correspondent has reported on them from time to time, most recently by way of a snap of falcon and chicks. Slightly piqued that my telephone would have been pretty hopeless at snapping such a thing so far up the tower, I thought to try an experiment.

Place the monocular I usually use to confirm indoor tweets on top of a glass of water (for extra ballast), pointing out into the garden. Place the fish-eye over the aperture of the monocular and click. Try tapping the appropriate bit of screen for focus and try again. The result was rather better than I was expecting. Note the circular rim of the eyepiece top and bottom of the snap.

I have not yet worked out why we have a reflection showing - one does not get that with a Mark.I eyeball.

Perhaps the next step is to make a contraption - of wood, naturally - which will hold the telephone up against the monocular in such a way that I can use the two things as one.

Reference 1: https://psmv2.blogspot.com/2014/05/wartocracy-resumed-or-wartological-tweet.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment