Friday 15 May 2020

Almost a trolley

The trolley
Another outing on the bicycle today, following a slightly extended version of yesterday's route.

Greeted on exit from the house by the BT pavement sign, which had been looking a bit tired, having been repainted. Not exactly action, but evidence that they have not forgotten us. See reference 1.

Down into town, up East Street and onto Ewell by-pass, a place where I often get into a muddle with the various turnings into Ewell Village. So today I overshot and found myself in the unknown housing estate around Courtlands Drive, from which I failed to extricate myself without a map - far too sunny for the phone to be any use - and ended up retracing my steps. Back along the by-pass, turned into Kingston Road and so into Ewell Village. Along the way, passing the sites of the Organ Inn, the Rembrandt Cinema and the Coach & Horses.

The Organ Inn - not like I remember it
The Rembrandt Cinema - where I remember big pot holes in the car park, off snap right, but no snow
Jolly Waggoners right, being demolished; Coach & Horse left, being built
Another ten years and very few people will remember these places at all. They will only exist in archives and scrapbooks. As it is, I was unable to confirm that the 'Jolly Waggoners' (of Kingston Road) was indeed renamed the 'Coach & Horses' when it was rebuilt, which is what I remember. Now a clutch of small blocks of flats. Ditto Rembrandt. Organ Inn site still empty, several years after demolition. I think there had been talk of an Aldi. Or perhaps a Lidl. Now squashed. No doubt the place would have prospered had the planned southern terminus been built across the road, some miles to the south of the actual terminus at Morden, as had been intended, I think just before the First World War. No confirmation of this one either from the comprehensive looking reference 2, although it does look stronger north of the river than south.

Over the railway bridge and on into West Ewell, where I took in the child's trolley at the top of this post. I thought about capturing it, but one rail was broken and without rope it would have been awkward on the bicycle, so I left it.

Hung a left at Hook Road and down to the butcher where I picked up a good piece of fore rib against Sunday. Declining the alternative, aged wing rib he thought I ought to have taken. We will see.

I noticed that the Mum behind me in the small queue outside had carefully cleaned her hands and those of her lad - perhaps two or three years old - with some kind of gel before entering, as I left. Not a drill that I have got into yet. I didn't even think to wash my hands until an hour or two later. Not good enough.

PS: I think the problem with BT Cloud reported at reference 1, turned out to be do with the PC in question not being awake for enough time for the BT client to be able to finish synchronising, resulting in another muddle. Which I then made worse by deleting the client before I had taken copies of the files - backups - in question. Deleting the client took the whole of the Cloud folder on the PC with it and the backup data which had not by then made it to the Cloud was lost. Sloppy advice from the IT help people at BT, plus I should have known better, as something of the sort has happened before. On the up side, deleting the client and then reinstalling it did delete the muddle.

Reference 1: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2020/05/bt-action.html.

Reference 2: http://tube-history.dslack.uk/northern-line.php.

No comments:

Post a Comment