Thursday 28 May 2020

Hmmm


This morning, I think somewhere in the vicinity of Moor Lane, Chessington, we passed a middle aged man dressed in Lycra on a bicycle - the variety with chunky tyres rather than a proper road bike. Nothing very remarkable about that, until I observed that the left leg was a falsie. I think the amputation was above the knee, but I am not sure about that now.

While he seemed to be getting on OK at the lights, his action was not as neat and controlled as that of an able bodied cyclist.

Should one applaud the drive & determination which got him out on the road or does it count as foolhardy, apt to cause accidents?

For some reason, I associate to the much younger man I once came across at the traffic lights at the northern end of Waterloo Bridge, who was cycling with bare feet. A younger man whom I can picture now and whom I did think foolhardy. And which I am sure I noticed at the time, but no combination of bare, feet, foot, cyclist and Waterloo seems to do the trick (as a search term for the notice in question). Very frustrating. Perhaps I will come up with something later in the day.

PS: the next morning: brain clearly refreshed and the new search term 'bullingdon+feet' turned up the post in question, from August 2017. Yesterday's focus on 'bare' had blocked it. See reference 1.


Reference 2: https://bikesreviewed.com/fun/barefoot-cycling/. Bing knows all about barefoot cycling - and I did not find the word 'foolhardy' on this web site. But I did find the picture included above.

No comments:

Post a Comment