Wednesday 13 May 2020

The relief of Mafeking

Normally, when BH and I play Scrabble, something we do most afternoons presently, I beat her about two times out of three and our joint score is usually of the order of 500. We have yet to break the 600 barrier. However, for the past three afternoons, I have lost, with an unhealthy momentum developing in the opposing camp. So I am pleased to be able to report that, this afternoon, I won, hopefully signalling the restart of the proper order of things.

Furthermore, the second tranche of supplies of cheese turned up from the people at reference 1, less than 24 hours after it was ordered. We should now be able to hold out until the Lincolnshire Poacher from the people at reference 2 turns up, scheduled for the end of the week or early next week.

PS: for some reason, I associated strongly, from these domestic events to the relief of Mafeking, the major media event of its (Boer War) day, and I turned it up in Wikipedia - where I read, inter alia, that at least one of the units defending our flag at Mafeking was black and nicknamed the 'Black Watch'. No evidence of this in any of the pictures turned up by either Bing or Google, but I suppose that, to paraphrase T. E. Lawrence, the whites got to write the dispatches. So I have to make do with the one above. The subject of which is confirmed by Google image search, together with the information that the artist is unknown.

Reference 1: http://www.thefrenchcomte.co.uk/.

Reference 2: https://www.nealsyarddairy.co.uk/.

Reference 3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Mafeking.

No comments:

Post a Comment