Wednesday 12 December 2018

Recycling

I pass on here an image which brought a smile to mind if not to face, when it arrived in my in-box yesterday. I was particularly taken with the picture of Trump which it had used, which I thought most appropriate. Inter alia, a reminder that Trump is a good deal older (at 72) than our own leader (at 62). Even older than me, and I have been happily retired for more than a decade. Clearly some people have a lot more drive and ambition then others, even if they do go a bit far with it. Or fail to hang up their clogs when they should. As exemplified by those who climb ridiculously high mountains, noticed at reference 1.

Perhaps my contribution will be to found a movement to promote the compulsory retirement of all people who have been in post long enough. Perhaps my particular contribution will be to work up a protocol which catches the right people, which does not catch people who have been happily plodding along in their grooves for years, not hurting anyone. My first shot, people in post for more than ten years, or who are more than seventy, is clearly not good enough. My second shot, retirement by committee, doesn't work either. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? A rule, a definition, is what is needed. But whatever the precise definition, there are clearly far too many of them, in positions of far too much power.

Wanting a better copy of the image, I asked Google image search, which did indeed turn up a better copy, but it also turned up lots of variants of the same idea, variations on the theme - which has clearly been around for a while, unbeknown to me. Or at least, forgotten by me.

Reference 1: http://psmv4.blogspot.com/2018/12/everest.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment