Thursday 6 December 2018

Dream fragment

More dream last night, of which I share a fragment.

At work again, and there were some pipes to me mended. For some reason, I thought to do it myself and set off with my carpenter's box. Having worried a bit about whether the Stillson inside was the right size - the two that I have being slightly different. See reference 2.

After a while I found myself out on some wide sheet of water, which on closer inspection turned out to be a flooded road. Small number of cars, quite some way ahead. A dark day, overcast and raining. Some small waves on the water, whipped up by the wind. Darkness notwithstanding, the sky was reflected in the water, making it white in patches, rather than black. Box rather heavy and I worried about the box giving out, spilling tools all over the place. As it happens, the leather handle of the box is slowly rotting away and I do worry about it giving way, but that aspect of things did not make it to the dream.

Disturbing rather than frightening.

Waking, I thought that the dream was indeed monochrome, as they are mostly alleged to be. All shades of grey. Also that it would not be that hard to manufacture this image, without having access to a real image. Also that details were missing. I could not say, for example, how many cars, just that it was a small number. Rather as if I was painting a picture with words, creating an impression, but actually leaving out most of the details, most of the real world, as discussed by Chater in his Karenina example. See reference 3.

PS: Google did better than Bing at turning up pictures of the right sort of carpenter's tool box, with this one coming from Wexford. Gives the right idea, including the metal corners, with only the top drawer, for smaller bits and pieces, missing. These boxes were more or less de rigueur when I was chancing it, were nearly always black, but are now described as antique, vintage or home made. Which mine, indeed, was. Dovetailed oak boards for the frame with birch ply front and back.

Reference 1: http://psmv4.blogspot.com/2018/12/meeting-dream.html. The dream noticed yesterday.

Reference 2: https://psmv2.blogspot.com/2013/05/egged-off.html.

Reference 3: The Mind Is Flat: The Illusion of Mental Depth and the Improvised Mind - Nick Chater – 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment