Friday 25 June 2021

Trolley 422

A stroll into Epsom this afternoon with various items on my to-do list. 

Now over the past few days, I have been seeing more and more trolleys in and around Epsom town centre, and this afternoon I thought that a spot of trolley activity was in order. So this one was recovered from outside ASK and returned to the stack at the entrance to the M&S food hall in the Ashley Centre, three months after trolley 421 was returned to the front entrance for disinfection. 

All bar one of the trolleys in the relevant stack today had handle locks fitted, which this one did not. Was it an interloper from the Ashtead store?

The waterworks outside the strip club noticed at reference 1 have been finished for some time now, but instead there was something watery going on at the other end of town, the West Street end, and quite a lot of water was coming out of a hole there. A board said that Thames Water was on the case.

Ripe cherries and giant tomatoes from Waitrose. The former were good but I thought the latter were a bit dear at around 70p each. However, an essential ingredient for tomorrow's stew, on which more in due course.

Rymans did not have the right sized pencil case, but Smiths did.

Waterstones had three fat Dostoevskis in Penguin Classics, but not the thin one I was looking for. While Oxfam over the road had no Dostoevskis at all, in a fiction section which seemed much reduced since I last looked at it. Maybe I will settle for Project Gutenberg. Or maybe a Kindle job from Amazon for 99p? For which see the end of reference 2.

Passed on CeX on this occasion.

And no-one wanted to convert my two fifty pound notes into five twenty pound notes, the former being slightly too big both for my wallet and for most of my modest purchasing needs. HSBC, which is my bank, closes at 14:00 on the days that it is open. Metrobank was open but would only process the notes through an account, which I don't have. The Post Office wouldn't take them. A building society thought about it, to the extent of peeking in the cash box to see how many twenties there were, but then said I had to be a customer.  Halifax, where I am a customer, was shut and shuttered. But I dare say I would have failed there anyway for lack of identification, customer numbers and so on and so forth. Perhaps fifty pounds notes are the notes of choice for people who are a bit coy about where they got them from - with the result that respectable places have procedures & protocols.

So a busy afternoon after the busy morning, already noticed.

Reference 1: http://psmv4.blogspot.com/2021/02/trolley-421.html.

Reference 2: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2021/06/the-hunt-for-two-seas.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment