Thursday 5 November 2020

Oxfam

Some years ago now, we used to pay regular visits to the Oxfam Bookshop in the Old London Road in Kingston, still there according to Street View. The stock was good, but sometimes we thought that the pricing was a bit fierce. Possibly fair prices, but not the sort of money that a walk in customer was likely to fork out. Not this one, anyway.

Against which background, I was amused to get an advertisement for Meccano from them in my email box this afternoon. Clicking on which delivered the snap above. I may well once have owned the very set, at which time it probably cost 22/6 or some much more innocuous sum like that.

Prompted by the blue blazer, I might add that while I had a school blazer, it had loud stripes but no ribbon edging. You only got ribbon edging for star performances at sports, with different colour ribbons for different levels of achievement. While I never achieved ribbon-hood at all.

PS: how many people under sixty can translate 22/6 into real money?

No comments:

Post a Comment