Tuesday 24 November 2020

Candidate potato

The mystery seedling is still looking well, still growing, despite the cooling weather. This from about 1500 yesterday afternoon, that is to say Tuesday. My bet is still potato, and I think the suggestion of sunflower, plausible from a compost point of view, can now be discarded.

As an alternative to the window sill suggested by our consultant, BH has suggested wrapping it around with some of the splendid insulating material that is coming the various parcels being delivered by vans, wrapping around which might prolong life well into the winter, maybe even through the winter. One might even make a sort of cloche out of bubble wrap, although one might find the foxes amused themselves by taking such things apart overnight - with a well chewed up egg box finding its way onto the back lawn one recent morning. I don't presently expect there to be any action on this suggestion.

I have thought of barbed wire to deter the foxes, to be had in domestic quantities from fencing contractors hereabouts - or from Amazon, but neighbourhood advice is that one needs to take care to have 'Hi Vis' signage in place in case people who are not supposed to be there trip over it at night and take it into their heads to take one to law. All too much bother. While traps for the foxes presumably completely out of order: RSPCA down on one in full force, with full powers. Perhaps I need to spend a bit of time with 'Animal Cops' (of reference 2).

PS 1: I am reminded that my name in my French class at school was Monsieur La Cloche, it being the custom for us all to be given such names, usually feeble puns on our actual names. In my case on tolling the bell.

PS 2: somebody being clever again with the copy and pasting of URL's at reference 2. I think I prefer the stupid version. For previous notice see reference 3.

Reference 1: psmv4: Mystery seedling.

Reference 2: Animal Cops: Houston (TV Series 2003– ) - IMDb.

Reference 3: psmv4: A first outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment