Wednesday 3 July 2019

Sugar fix

Getting on for two years since I last made a Dundee cake, for which see reference 1, so today I moved into action, taking my text from the Radiation New World Cookery Book on this occasion, so a rather larger cake than on the last.


Check out that opening gambit: take eight ounces of butter, take eight ounces of sugar, take five eggs. And so it goes on.

Gave some thought to the question of what tin to cook it in, and although we did have an eight inch tin, we settled for the seven and a half inch tin with a loose bottom. And in line with industry good practise, I also lined the tin with a double thickness of greaseproof paper, standing about two inches above the top of the rim of the tin and greased with butter.

BH assembled the ingredients for me, while I mixed them up, with this mixing taking about an hour. I restrained myself from snapping the interesting changes in texture as one added the eggs, one by one, to the creamed butter and sugar.

Cooked the cake for three hours at around 140C, adding a greaseproof lid at the half way mark to stop it browning on the top too much. Passed the skewer test.


Slipped out of the tin OK, slipped off the base OK, now standing on its grid overnight to harden off, before stripping off the paper and putting it in a cake tin. Possibly the plastic tin from Tupperware, if it fits.

More news on consumption in due course.

Reference 1: https://psmv3.blogspot.com/search?q=sugar+fix+dundee.

No comments:

Post a Comment