Sunday 7 July 2019

More irritation

As previously mentioned at reference 1, our BT Broadband connection here in the Isle of Wight is not very good, and it was particularly bad yesterday evening, that is to say Sunday evening. To the point where it was more or less unusable, with Google reporting strange errors to do with semaphores. But odd in the sense that we have stayed in the same cottage before and I don't remember having problems before: have all the good people of Brading switched to the Internet for their television? Is it hundreds of copies of 'Coronation Street' which are hogging the island's hard pressed telephone lines?

Which for some reason made me really cross. Was it just the disturbance to my usual evening activities or does it warrant the term addiction?

Then there was the complication that I was taking a little whisky at the time and I was slightly cross about that, it not tasting quite as I expected at all - and reminding me of Talisker, which I do not much care for. All very odd as I have taken Johnny Walker Red Label before and liked it well enough - although in public houses I usually take Black Label, and occasionally Blue Label. See, for example, reference 2.

Was the drink exaggerating my emotional response to the Internet problem, with one BH line being that gin is apt to make one maudlin? Or vice-versa? Certainly something was triggering all kinds of dark thoughts about phoning BT (if I can find their help desk number) and the holiday cottage agency in the morning.

Whereas, in the event, things are much better in every way. And the sun is shining, which it did not manage yesterday. Maybe I won't bother doing anything at all.

PS: ever curious, I did find the help desk number. Phoning the main BT number turned up by Google (020 7356 5000) got me the help desk number in less than a minute. Furthermore, if you ask Google about the telephone number, it turns up BT. Clever stuff.

PPS: a couple of days later tried the whisky again. The Talisker taste had more or less vanished and the whisky tasted fine. Which all goes to show that my taste is getting as flaky as my memory. Or does it show that taste is adaptive, that in some sense what you taste is actually the difference between the current taste and the previous taste? Perhaps relevant that tasting white wine in a restaurant is for me a waste of time, with the taste of the first sip being a very poor guide to the taste of (most of) the rest of the bottle. See also the previous experience of Talisker noticed at reference 3.

Reference 1: http://psmv4.blogspot.com/2019/07/fake-77.html.

Reference 2: https://psmv2.blogspot.com/2015/11/luvvy-spotting.html.

Reference 3: https://pumpkinstrokemarrow.blogspot.com/search?q=Crozes-Hermitage.

No comments:

Post a Comment