Tuesday 23 July 2019

Another tedious job

A week or so a large and rather ferocious looking green form arrived in the post from DVLC telling me that now I was seventy, I needed to apply for a new driving license.

For some reason, I was reminded of this important fact while in Majestic Wine this afternoon (topping up on the Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc, our session wine, to borrow a term from the days of beer) and on return I decided to take the plunge and do something about it.

On closer inspection, it turned out that I could do the thing online, so I lined up the necessary secret numbers and went off to reference 1. With which, I would like to say, I was impressed. A well designed and well presented application. They can even lift a copy of my passport photograph from the passport people and paste it into my new driving license without my needing to visit another photo booth to be told that my spectacles are at the wrong angle for the computer.

The only fault I could find with the application was that, at the very end, I had to certify that I had cut my old license in half and that I would return the pieces to DVLC. I did so certify, but I have no intention of cutting anything in half until the new license arrives.

Which is said to be within a couple of weeks or so...

PS: which will take to two my tally of identifications acceptable to Waitrose click n'collect. Which is good, because I would much rather carry my driving license around than my passport. Silly, as I do drive but I do not travel, so the loss of the former would be much more of a nuisance, but there you are.

Reference 1: https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70.

No comments:

Post a Comment