Thursday 18 February 2021

Huddersfield

It is now four years since the police shot dead a man who was probably a career criminal in the course of what they euphemistically call a hard stop. And there has been no change at the IOPC website since I last looked in the middle of last year - no change in fact for three years.

Perhaps our leader-in-waiting, Mr. Starmer, as a legally trained person, should ask one of his team to find out how many cases of this sort there are sitting on the IOPC books. Perhaps tabulate them by how long they have been sitting there. But from where I sit, justice is a long way from being seen to be done.

I did try writing to the commissioner for the relevant area, which resulted in nothing more than soporific noises. Perhaps I should give my mind to who else I might write to. Letter to the Guardian?

PS: Friday afternoon: I now find that there has been an update today. The report on this incident has been completed, has been shared with interested parties, but has not yet been published. Some other material has been published, which I am looking into. See reference 2.

Reference 1: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2020/06/complacent.html.

Reference 2: https://policeconduct.gov.uk/news/investigation-update-fatal-police-shooting-yassar-yaqub.

No comments:

Post a Comment