Monday 22 February 2021

Google News

Google and Facebook are getting into trouble for recycling news stories without paying for them. While Microsoft is playing it very virtuous, saying that news is important and that news publishers need to be paid. They have joined up with a raft of big European publishers to promote action in this area. Against a background of the rather rubbishy Microsoft News feed that pops up every time I turn Edge on - the browser I use on my laptop. A news feed which, certainly of late, has been offering lots of scantily clad females. Or at least promise of same: actually clicking on them might be disappointing.

I also find that Google are now offering a news feed of their own at reference 1, with a sample snapped above. Functionally, not that unlike the Financial Times offering, with categories down the left hand side, search at the top and search results occupying the body of the screen right. A snippet plus a link to the story proper.

We shall see whether I get into the habit of using it. Added to my Edge favourites on my laptop to be going on with.

Reference 1: https://news.google.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment