Thursday 6 August 2020

Fourth blackberries

The blackberry season continued this morning with the fourth picking, for which I stopped off (on the way home from Jubilee Way) at the double hedge at the northern perimeter of Hook Road Arena, last picked over by me getting on for a couple of weeks ago. Plenty more there, and I could probably have picked double what I in fact picked.

A few people passed while I was picking, and one lady actually stopped and we talked about the likelihood of teenage boys picking blackberries, even when they were at the bottom of their own garden. Money might tempt them, as these particular boys had been moved on one of our occasional snowy winters to go up and down their road offering to clear drives for a modest fee. She was quite a fan of Waitrose blackberries which she said were big and juicy, better than wild blackberries, if dear.

I was struck, after she had gone, that I had given no thought to social distancing at all. Possibly a metre, but certainly not two metres.

But then she was very brown, so perhaps she spent a lot of time out of doors and was healthy, virus free even.

All trayed up in the freezer, awaiting bagging in the morning.

PS: the cardigan works quite well at the moment. Provides a bit of cover first thing, but lets the air in too, so one does not heat up too much once one gets going and the sun gets up. But too hot once I stopped and the air cooling stopped.

Reference 1: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2020/07/third-blackberries.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment