Thursday 20 August 2020

Fake 109

At some point yesterday evening, I became convinced that we had the DVD of a film about Everest, probably bought in the last year or so, probably about the disastrous climb documented at references 1 and 2, the 1996 climb led by Hall and Fischer, both of whom died on the way down. Search of the various piles of DVD's revealed nothing. Search of the snow and ice shelf of the bookshelf revealed nothing. Search of the study revealed nothing.

Then this morning, I get around to checking with Amazon, far and away the most likely place for me to have obtained such a thing. Not among the 30 or so purchases listed for this year and last. But I notice that I have already made twice as many purchases this year as I made last year. A side effect of the bug. And I continue to be impressed by the Amazon computer system - even if I continue to be irritated by the continual pressure to subscribe to Prime.

Next stop Bing, where I find that 18 films about Everest are listed by Wikipedia, of which I think I have seen three; references 3, 4 and 5. The first and last on television, quite possibly more than once, the second in the IMAX cinema at Waterloo - where the hostesses were dressed up like air hostesses in smart red uniforms and the 3D camera work gave me vertigo - impressive though it was.

Next stop the blog, where there is plenty of stuff under the search key 'everest', but nothing both recent and relevant.

From all of which I deduce that the memory was a fake. Quite alarming this morning how sure I was about it yesterday evening.

PS: searching the blog for 'fake108' produces the same sort of unpredictable results as those noticed yesterday at reference 7.

Reference 1: Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster - Jon Krakauer - 1997.

Reference 2: Left for Dead: My Journey Home from Everest - Beck Weathers with Stephen G. Michaud - 2000.

Reference 3: Everest - movie - 2015. The 1996 disaster.

Reference 4: Everest - IMAX documentary movie - 1998. The 1996 success.

Reference 5: Into thin air - TV movie  - 1997. The 1996 disaster.

Reference 6: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2020/07/fake-108.html.

Reference 7: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2020/08/search-keys.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment