Wednesday 10 June 2020

More mild irritation

Following the mild irritation with the media industry noticed at reference 1, today we have some mild irritations with our much vaunted financial services industry. About the one thing we are still supposed to be good enough at for it to earn us some much needed foreign currency.

This all arising because it is tax return time of year.

So I needed a P.60 for a bit of pension. Now the pension provider wanted to save money, so does not send us a P.60 anymore. Rather it is all available to me, online, at the touch of a few buttons. Which being translated means that instead of fishing a bit of paper out of the tax pile, I have to root around to turn up the logon credentials for an account that I use once a year, log in to the account and print the thing off for myself. All of which is much more time consuming and tiresome that the bit of paper version. Although, to be fair, it does all work without my needing to phone them for help.

Next I need to find out about interest payments on a couple of building society accounts, just in case they are non-trivial. Which, as it  happens, is unlikely. Turn up some more logon credentials and poke around in the building society. Locate the statement I need, to find that it contains no lines called 'interest'. But it does have lines called 'P-T' and 'D-C'. Look up the list of abbreviations helpfully provided - to find that they are not there. Phone up the contact number, also helpfully provided, and go through some more credentials pack drill. Get through to a person who tells me that I am male and that he cannot talk to me. But, sezzaye, I only want a few transaction codes. I don't want to pry into my wife's account. He relents, but then says that these are special branch code about which he, as a head office person, knows nothing, despite their appearing on his computer. But he can say that interest will appear in the account on the anniversary of its opening - if that helps.

Luckily, BH being a careful person, still has the antique bank book, in which interest payments are identified with the helpful rubric 'INT GR'. From which we get the date, from which we get from the computer the important information that the interest in question is all of £1.29.

All ready to declare!

Reference 1: http://psmv4.blogspot.com/2020/06/mild-irritation.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment