Friday 2 August 2019

Trolleys 276a, 276b and 277

Trolley capture has restarted with a fine crop of trolleys in the passage on the way to the station, all bar two belonging to the M&S food hall.

All cunningly chained together so as to achieve maximum release of tokens and £1 coins. I invested my three tokens to release the front three trolleys, left in the snap, one of each size from M&S and one small trolley from Wilko. Two journeys involved, so scored as two.

The M&S stack was more or less empty when I got there, with one lady waiting for each of the two sizes. I waved aside their queries about coins and tokens, not liking to take coin for my tokens. But that means I am two tokens down on the day, that is to say down to one, with it usually taking two to achieve any kind of release. And with my feeling a bit mean about using my own £1 coins - although that feeling will probably recede if I think of it as a small subsidy for the hard pressed youth of the town.

In any event, having returned the Wilko trolley, I went back to M&S where I did not find a customer service desk but I did find an unoccupied click and collect desk. Hung around for a few moments and then I was pounced on by an efficient young lady who seemed genuinely concerned that I was not being attended to. She did not know about the passage or Ashmore Insurance, but she did know who to phone to get something done about the missing twenty trolleys. Certainly more than ten. From which we deduce that M&S do employ the equivalent of kitchen porters for the various odd jobs of this sort which must crop up through the day.

After all this excitement, I set off along East Street to be hailed by a car heading north east. A car heading north east with three adults in it. The lady in the back asked me where Kingston Road was, a road which was supposed to contain either a sewing shop or a sewing machine shop. There did not seem to be a map in the car and she did not seem to be able to work her telephone to the extent of getting from Google to a helpful map, or even to some helpful directions. But she did mention Ewell and Tolworth, so I sent them off in what I hope was roughly the right direction. Far too hard to use my telephone outside for me to sort it out properly, even when it was overcast rather than sunny.

While back home, after a few clicks and a few seconds, I get to reference 2, which is clearly where they were headed for: Shop 1, Harris Court, 429 Kingston Road, Ewell, Surrey, KT19 0DB. Seemingly where Ruxley Lane comes out, although I cannot find this actual place in Street View. Still, I had directed them right, and that was probably better than sending them off to Bourne Hall Library to look at a map. Maybe they got there in the end.

Always amazed when people go on expeditions of this sort without bothering to take their AZ.

Reference 1: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2019/05/trolley-264.html. The drain cover noticed in this post has slipped again, with a good part of the hole exposed.

Reference 2: https://www.sewworks.co.uk/.

No comments:

Post a Comment