Tuesday 9 March 2021

News from the Scrabble front

A comfortable victory this afternoon, with a decent aggregate score, not far short of the glass ceiling of 500. A victory clinched by my leveraging BH's 'z' to get 'quiz' on a double word. Along the way I tried to memorialise my affair with warfarin with 'heparin', sometimes used on me as a supplement or an alternative. BH rightly thought that this was not a word which would be found in OED, my claims about the 19th century chemical industry in Germany notwithstanding. She turned out to be right, with OED only allowing 'hepar', an old name for a metallic sulphide, in particular calcium sulphide, named for its livery colour, and then 'hepatic', an adjective for things to do with the liver. But no heparin. Being sporting, she did not make me miss my go, resting content with the removal of the trailing 'in', so reducing my already modest score for the word by two or three.

PS 1: I am also pleased to be able to report that OneDrive has started moving pictures from my telephone to my laptop again, with the snap from which the snip above was taken arriving there in seconds. It being getting on for a month since any such move had taken place, it occurred to me this morning that maybe I should switch photo storage on the telephone back from the D: drive, an extra chunk of memory, not supplied by Microsoft, to the C: drive, which was supplied by them, built in even. At first nothing, then I thought to reboot the telephone, and photos started to come through more or less immediately. Perhaps if I now change the default back to D: that will work too, but I leave that experiment for another day. 

PS 2: and for the avoidance of doubt, I had tried rebooting the telephone before, but not in conjunction with changing storage preferences.

Reference 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heparin.

Reference 2: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2021/02/onedrive.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment