Friday 17 April 2020

Choline

I have been prompted to inquire about a chemical called choline, the absence of enough of which before birth is suspected of being implicated in the development of schizophrenia twenty years later. Of which, more in due course.

My present point is that while Wikipedia is often my first port of call in such inquiries, in this case, as well as Wikipedia at reference 2, Bing also turned up the fact sheet at reference 1. A fact sheet produced by the grandly title Office of Dietary Supplements of the National Institutes of Health of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. For which last see reference 3.

A fact sheet which I thought was well presented and much better suited to my particular needs than the corresponding page in Wikipedia. The former perhaps the work of a civil servant and the latter perhaps the work of a medical student? Both conclude with about 50 references.

So while a sensible health service might be anathema to a powerful section of the population of the US, central government does do some health in a helpful way.

For the moment I am engrossed in reference 4 from the fact sheet, but perhaps if I am bored this afternoon, I will try and find out what our government has done. Or maybe even the French government. Or WHO. Or, on a different tack, to count up the number of references that turn up in both lists.

Reference 1: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Choline-HealthProfessional/.

Reference 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choline.

Reference 3: https://www.hhs.gov/. All about health in the US, although without the responsibility or budget for the provision of actual health services. Nevertheless, for the financial year 2001, 3,901 full time equivalents and  $700,756,000. Less than the year before and with the organisation chart showing lots of vacancies on the senior management team, perhaps a product of trumpery. This last being a word of abuse, derived ultimately from the French word for a trumpet. See OED for the full story.

Reference 4: A.S.P.E.N. position paper: recommendations for changes in commercially available parenteral multivitamin and multi-trace element products - Vanek VW, Borum P, Buchman A, Fessler TA, Howard L, Jeejeebhoy K, et al. – 2012. A.S.P.E.N. being the American Society for Parenteral [intravenous] and Enteral [stomach and intestines] Nutrition.

1 comment:

  1. As a sign of gratitude for how my husband was saved from Lymes, I decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My husband suffered from Lymes and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and I saw testimony of so many people who were cured from Lymes , and so many others with similar body problems, and they left the contact of this doctor who had the herbal cure to Lymes. I never imagined Lymes had a cure not until I contacted him and he assured me my husband will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my husband used it and in one months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life.Lymes has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Dr Itua can cure Herpes,Hiv,Cancer,ALS,Copd,HPV,Lupus,MS,Diabetes, and other disease talk to Dr Itua on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony .

    ReplyDelete