Tuesday 30 April 2019

Waking news

The first item was a dream concerning the decoration of the bathroom in our house in Cambridge. In which the plan was to paper the floor and the walls with the same striped wallpaper and I was having trouble getting the stripes to join up properly at the various joins between wall and wall, between wall and floor.

It seemed to take quite a long time to work out, as I woke up, that this was not our bathroom here in Epsom. And while my dream had got the layout of this Cambridge bathroom right, it quite failed to grasp the mathematical fact that such proper joining up is impossible. It eventually dawning on me that there was a whole field of mathematical endeavour lurking out there.

Great difficulty visualising any of the other four bathrooms I have known over the years. Just the bath in a cupboard in the kitchen of an upstairs flat in Pembroke Road in North London, not far from a small bus garage. But I do remember a public house at the end of Pembroke Road, snapped above, with there being no public house in the snap at all. Was it the white topped building which does not look much like a pub now and which does look as if it is flats, flats in some sort of awkward looking conversion? Perhaps a site visit is called for.

The second item arrived on my PC when I woke it up. It seems that NASA has been reminding us that the chances of a large lump of rock from space crashing into the earth are not that small. We are reminded of the rock which broke up over Chelyabinsk, just east of the Urals, in 2013, causing more than 1,000 casualties, none fatal and mostly down to being hit by flying glass from broken windows. While I was vaguely aware of the event, I had not been aware of casualties, let alone a lot of them. See reference 1.

PS: later: continuing to worry about the pub, I eventually realised that the pole in front of the right hand end of the flats was a pub sign, a realisation confirmed by moving Street View around to the side, revealing the name as 'Alexandra Arms'. A name I dimly recall. Quite a busy pub when we knew it, more than forty years ago and there was often singing on Saturday night. A sort of community life which has largely vanished.

Reference 1: https://www.cnbc.com/id/100463175.

Reference 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelyabinsk_meteor.

No comments:

Post a Comment