Friday 5 April 2019

A nerdy complaint

For purposes which will be revealed in due course, I wanted this morning to create a number of copies of something like the image left.

To which end I turn to the Microsoft product, Powerpoint.

With which I assemble an alternating line of 11 tall bricks and 10 short bricks, taking care to make sure the fill colour is the same as the line colour so that the joins don't show. The 'snap-on' feature which seems to come with Powerpoint makes it easy to line all the bricks up, giving a neat looking result. Shown top in the snap above.

I need several copies of the line and rather than create each copy from scratch, I want to use to the select, copy and paste features. So I use the select objects feature to select the line, then copy, then paste, then drag and drop the new line to the new location. Shown bottom in the snap above.

Which works up to a point, but my complaint is that although one thinks one is dragging and dropping all twenty one objects making up the line simultaneously, Powerpoint seems to lose their alignment in the process, with quite a lot of the objects losing vertical alignment and some of them losing horizontal alignment. Exaggerated for effect in the bottom line.

So what is going on here? Has Powerpoint just been implemented sloppily, or is the code struggling with pixilation effects arising from exactly where I drop my line of objects? Or rounding effects on the numbers specifying positions inside Powerpoint?

Whatever the case, the effects are real enough to transfer from one system to another, surviving the process of blogging. Surviving for example, on my telephone. Perhaps I will go and see what happens on the bigger, higher resolution screen downstairs.

PS: later: I now find that something similar seems to happen when the line is resized on the (Powerpoint) screen for some reason. Perhaps because one has closed the ribbon at the top or closed one of the specification panels at the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment