Tuesday 16 April 2019

Epsom Common

What is now a rare visit to Epsom Common last week, on the way back from the fancy goods store also known as Chessington Garden Centre. Also known for its aquarium and its cafeteria.

Great pond, central
Heron just about visible on my laptop, one clump to the left of the bush in the water.

Great pond, left
Rather looks as if the volunteers have been tidying up the reed beds, left foreground.

Great pond, right
Ditto. A pond which our Canadian aunt once described as being very Canadian. Leaving the pond, I managed to get slightly lost, but mostly all very agreeable. Some signs of cow action, cows which the volunteers still seem to be keen on. When will they get it that cow and the planet do not get on, at least not in the numbers that us cow flesh eating humans need? There is also the consideration that I do not care to share my walks with cows, particularly cows of the highland variety, the brown ones with very long horns.

Chain saw action one
A certain amount of what sounded a bit like the call of a buzzard. Perhaps some other raptor? I have, occasionally, seen such on the Common.

Sadly, a bit further on I came across a large patch of chain saw action - so the chain saw volunteers are alive and well after all. Why can't they leave well alone? When will they get it that golf is far more planet friendly than chain saws?

Chain saw action two
On the whole, it remains a splendid place. It is just a pity that the volunteers overreach themselves. Maintaining a reasonable repertoire of paths, yes. Chopping down dead reeds, perhaps yes. Chopping down live trees, definitely no. Running cows, definitely no. So also a pity that I don't or can't muster the energy to join their councils - I dare say they struggle to get a reasonable number of people at their meetings - and make my voice heard. I know I am not alone in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment