Thursday 14 March 2019

Cheese

Last week, for a change, to the London Bridge branch of Neal's Yard Dairy, next door to Borough Market.

Two Bullingdons
No birds roosting or otherwise spending quality time on the top of the flats in station approach on this occasion. But Cortana did take exception to the word 'roosting' and I had to type it three times before she gave up on correcting it.

Paving machinery still parked up the Approach and the repaving of town centre continues.

Scored a couple of in-train twos at the aeroplane game, one each side of Earlsfield.

Noted what appeared to be extensive roof repairs to the Security Service building on the Embankment. Doesn't seem that long since the building was completely refurbished for them - so maybe the roof repairs are cover for something more tricky.

Several youths with particularly bad cycle manners on the way to London Bridge. Perhaps more noticeable as I continue to believe that the cycle manners are better than they were.

Brunswick Blue with wire sign
Got my usual ration of a couple of pounds of Lincolnshire Poacher and then, prompted by a chap who said he always bought Brunswick Blue, got a bit of that too. A soft, white cheese which had had wires pushed into it at some point to give it blue spots. Furthermore, it had been bought in young by Neal's Yard to be matured in their own climate controlled, cheese maturing rooms under a couple of arches somewhere in Bermondsey. Something to be run down at some point. In the meantime, we rather liked the sample that I bought on this occasion. Now described as sold out.

On my way to the Barrow Boy and Banker (BBB), I thought I spotted a gent. in a bowler coming towards me, a sort of hat which was commonly worn by city workers when I was young. And before that, by the foremen on building sites. Sadly it turned out to be a trilby. Long time since I have seen a bowler, other than on stage or screen. But I do now know that both bowlers and trilby's are named for people. The bowler for a hatter and the trilby for a novel, with Wikipedia revealing that: 'the hat's name derives from the stage adaptation of George du Maurier's 1894 novel Trilby'. With this du Maurier perhaps now best known for being the grandfather of Daphne.

Sancerre
Three sorts of Sauvignon Blanc available at the BBB. One of which was a Sancerre sold in half bottles, which I thought a nice touch. Not a particularly good Sancerre, but it does build on the work done by Greene King to promote the stuff.

What seemed like a strong head wind going back to Waterloo along Stamford Street, but I was not that puffed that I could not make it up the ramp to take position three.

Position three
Entertained on the train by a young lady whom I took to be a chorus girl in some musical, studying, near silently rehearsing from her binder full of plastic wrapped song music. Music which seemed from where I was sitting to be printed with the melody on the top stave, with a couple of accompaniment staves underneath. Just like lieder. But I decided against closer investigation.

PS: the Poacher turned out to be as good as I have come to expect. Reliable stuff which, wrapped up, keeps pretty well for a couple of weeks in the refrigerator.

Reference 1: https://www.nealsyarddairy.co.uk/.

Reference 2: https://www.barrowboy-and-banker.co.uk/.

Reference 3: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2019/03/new-money-for-old.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment