Wednesday 14 November 2018

Compost Bin No.2

From time to time I notice the doings of Compost Bin No.1, so I thought it was time to give Bin No.2 an outing.

Used for leaves, twigs, branches and other stuff which is going to take a while to rot down. Also for burying books which I want to get rid of but which I do not, for sentimental reasons, want sculling around charity shops.  And bulky confidential waste which I can't be bothered to put through the shredder. Probably more than twenty years worth now, with only the occasional harvest of compost.

Very clean boundary between the clay and the compost, with more or less no mixing. Nor do I recall coming across any roots coming up from the trees around, although I have not very looked very hard. They certainly do so come up in Bin No.1, but then that is probably a lot wetter as it takes the kitchen waste, less anything meaty, which is apt to attract rats and so forth.

Presently being used to indoctrinate sprog 2.1 in the ways of compost, although she has yet to learn that it is not really necessary for me to carry her play buggy (fine value at £2 from Sainsbury's) with us when we climb to the top for a beetle hunt.

Reference 1: https://psmv3.blogspot.com/2017/03/all-done.html. For a sight of Bin No.1.

No comments:

Post a Comment