Friday 16 November 2018

Brexit blunder

Following the post at reference 1, I did indeed give a little time to the draft Brexit agreement on my telephone. And in reasonably short order I discovered that I had blundered and that I was looking at the March draft rather than the November draft - as I ought to have deduced from the name of the relevant web page.

The telephone delivered what I think is the right page in fairly short order and I now have a copy of '14 November Draft Agreement on the withdrawal of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland from the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community, PDF, 1.37MB, 585 pages'. The lawyers are clearly doing very well for themselves indeed, having made the document four times bigger in just eight months. And along the way, the article 63 illustrated in the first post has morphed into something else: still law and order, but not the same law and order. We have also lost the colour coding.

But this new draft resolves the worry at the back of my mind that 129 pages was not the number of pages being quoted in the press. And there are two additional documents, taking the grand total to 594 pages. And if that is not enough, there is a click here for yet two more.

Oddly, back at home, (Microsoft) telephone success notwithstanding, Bing had trouble finding this November version, with the March version sticking to the top of the heap and with the November version not being visible at all. But I get there in the end, to reference 2. So now down to some serious reading; perhaps a live reading in TB? Or the Station at Stoneleigh? A fitting end to a dull Friday afternoon?

Reference 1: http://psmv4.blogspot.com/2018/11/brexit.html.

Reference 2: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/progress-on-the-uks-exit-from-and-future-relationship-with-the-european-union.

No comments:

Post a Comment