Thursday 29 November 2018

Cet obscur objet du désir

An object which is clearly obscure, probably desirable inside and therefore desirable as a whole, if only to check it out. So it qualifies.

Which I do not, as I conflated this film (reference 1) with that at reference 2. I have seen this second one at the cinema, possibly at a small arty cinema in central London, at least once, but I may not have seen the first at all. Although, given that Buñuel was very much the thing when I was young, the name of this film has clearly stuck somewhere in the grey matter.

I am told that all the small arty cinemas which used to be all over the place in the larger towns of France and Italy have largely vanished. As have, I dare say, the few we had here in London. And I don't help as I have not been to the cinema for years. And sadly, as I type, I realise that even this bland statement represents a lapse of memory, as I now remember that we certainly went to the cinema in 2016 (reference 3) and may well have been since. Perhaps not very often would be more accurate.

Picture by Vermeer (courtesy of Buckingham Palace), carpet by Kelaty (reference 4).

Reference 1: Cet obscur objet du désir - Luis Buñuel and Pierre Louÿs - 1977.

Reference 2: Le Charme discret de la bourgeoisie - Luis Buñuel and Jean-Claude Carrière - 1972.

Reference 3: http://psmv3.blogspot.com/2016/05/florrie.html.

Reference 4: http://psmv3.blogspot.com/2016/08/shopping-in-kingston.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment