Friday 8 January 2021

Pigeon pox

A rather moribund wood pigeon has been wandering around our back garden for most of today. Not much disturbed by my walking my bricks up and down, getting close enough to see rather unpleasant pink-white growths under the beak. Puffy balls, maybe a quarter of an inch in diameter. I was just starting to wonder whether it had some sort of avian flu and whether I should put it out of its misery, when it took fright and managed to muster the energy to flap over the fence. I daresay a fox will have it tonight.

Consulting with Google and RSPB, it seems likely that the pigeon has a viral infection called avian pox. Moving onto Wikipedia, I learn that this is a relative of small pox, but am reassured to find that it does not infect humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment