Sunday 17 January 2021

Inattentional blindness

Since the start of the current lockdown, I have thought it best not to cycle through Epsom town centre, if only for the sake of example. It has also been rather wet. But today I was tempted out, initially to Ruxley Lane, but then pushing onto Jubilee Way.

Where, on Cox lane heading west, just past the railway bridge, I found a Tesco Express on my right. A shop I must have cycled past dozens of times in the course of last year - and never noticed. Or had it opened up during the Christmas holiday? Inspection of gmaps tells me not, with the image above dating from 2019. Just one more example of how a road looks very different when going one way along it than when going the other. Perhaps not quite the inattentional blindness of reference 1; more a case of it being a good idea to keep eyes front when on a cycle. Head doesn't swivel on the neck as fast as it used to.

It being dry with sunny intervals, after what seems like days of rain, plenty of people about. Cars, cycles, joggers and regulars. With the occasional lapse of social distancing. But when on a dual use path - of which there are several on this circuit - I found the regulars responding well to the tinkle of my old-speak bicycle bell. Much better, to my mind, than the squawks and honks favoured by some cyclists.

Reference 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inattentional_blindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment