Sunday 4 April 2021

A moan

Having done Easter, involving a fair amount of animal and alcohol products, a touch annoyed this evening, that is to say around 19:15, at my failure to recover mail messages that I sent yesterday. Or to be more precise, my failure to recover attachments.

My theory has been that the place described as 'sent mail' was a full record of all the stuff which I had sent out, without regard to one's condition at the time of sending. Condition not being relevant to the record. 

However, I cannot just now recover attachments to emails which I sent yesterday. And while I accept that I have to accept responsibility for hitting the send button, I plead in mitigation that I had thought that I could check up later.

From which Easter celebration, I am moved to observe that I have been engaged with the evils of the advertising society for near sixty years now, and that while I might have mellowed a little with the years, I associate this evening to the founding mantra of Google about not doing bad things. From which thought Bing takes me to reference 1.

PS: I am told that our next door neighbour is taking bets on whether we will make it back to Kings Place this year to hear the Rachel Podger of reference 2. I believe that they are now taking bookings.

Reference 1: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/nov/03/dont-be-evil-review-rana-foroohar-tech-giants-too-big-to-fail. “Don’t be evil” was the mantra of the co-founders of Google, Sergey Brin and Larry Page, the graduate students who, in the late 1990s, had invented a groundbreaking way of searching the web. At the time, one of the things the duo believed to be evil was advertising. There’s no reason to doubt their initial sincerity on this matter, but when the slogan was included in the prospectus for their company’s flotation in 2004 one began to wonder what they were smoking. Were they really naive enough to believe that one could run a public company on a policy of ethical purity?

Reference 2: https://www.rachelpodger.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment