Monday 12 October 2020

More failure

Some years ago, I made a simple mesh covered gate to stop foxes using the narrow passage by the side of our house as an entry point. Around six feet high as foxes can jump up and over surprising heights. Doing my bit to keep the foxes down - in the hope that everyone else around our island would do their bit and that eventually they would die out. Hope which turned out to quite unrealistic, partly because some people don't bother and partly because some people go so far as to feed them. What we need is a first-class committee man (or woman) to stir the island residents into more effective action - which lets me out as I have got neither the patience nor the manners to be any good at that sort of thing.

The mesh was the sort of mesh sheet more usually used as a base for tricky bits of plastering. Unpleasantly spiky stuff if you get hold of it in the wrong way, but very fit for this purpose. Not least because I think it was the right size and I didn't have to cut the stuff.

Then some days ago, we discovered that this simple, light-weight gate would not take the weight of an adult male and the top rail got broken. So a spot of DIY this morning to replace it.

A spot which actually took two or three hours, still quite a bit quicker than replacement, which I imagine would have been a full day, including fetching the necessary materials. But maybe I will get around to that in slower time.

No comments:

Post a Comment