Thursday 29 October 2020

Exciting new opportunity

Greeted this morning by an advertisement in my email-box from Ernst & Young, who invite me to 'start your career with EY: try our new augmented reality experience to find out where your strengths lie'. My knowledge of EY being limited to their being one of the big four accountancy outfits, the people who give clean bills of health in exchange for fat fees to all kinds of dodgy undertakings. I don't think I ever came across EY in the world of work; at least they made no lasting impression.

No idea quite why Google and EY between them think that I am the right person to send this sort of advertisement to. Was it because I signed up to Zoom yesterday in an effort to participate in a meeting next week? Did the age bit of my profile with Google get corrupted somehow?

A quick poke around at reference 1, an expensive looking bit of web-art, turns up lots of striking pictures, but no opportunities for accountants. Lots of jobs on offer for lawyers and IT people; perhaps the combination of Brexit for lawyers and Covid for IT people. Puzzled about the seaside shot above, which looked vaguely familiar. Conferring with BH, we thought looking west, somewhere on the southwest coast. She also explained that it was one person under the umbrella not two, as I had thought. Perhaps with dog. But conferring with Google Images, they tell me that the picture is very EY flavoured (reminding me that EY is the only big outfit to make use of the Treasury model of the economy) - but also that it is of Robin Hood's Bay, up north. Out of iStock, by Getty Images. We have been to this bay, but it was a long time ago, and it seems unlikely that that is why the image seemed familiar. Perhaps it was really all about subconsciously coveting the fine umbrella. In any event, the Google Image people scored this time.

PS: the caption that comes with iStock talks about a couple, so BH perhaps wrong about that one. No score this time.

Reference 1: https://www.ey.com/en_uk.

Reference 2: https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/robin-hoods-bay-in-the-rain-gm493795847-40843858.

No comments:

Post a Comment