Sunday 30 May 2021

A lupin head


The lupin noticed at reference 1 has now come into flower. BH - O-I-C of the plant in question - having kept the whitefly at bay with washing up liquid, presumably in a dilute form. While I, at about this time of year, used to keep the blackfly on the broad beans at bay by pinching out the leads. Which did surprisingly well, provided you did it before the flies spread into the plants proper. I think there has also been talk of slug pellets.

I don't suppose the next head will be as good as this one. Particularly since we are talking pot-lupin.

My mother used to grow lupins on the flower bed at the back of our back lawn, the one that backed onto the trellis, beyond which one had the raspberries and strawberries - these last being the object of many a childhood chore. For example, extricating a black bird from a strawberry net. As I recall, an ungrateful little beggar. And as I recall the lupins, they came up big and strong every year, without pharmaceutical or other attentions. But I was quite young at the time. 

But I do associate to the very impressive display of lupins we once saw at a flower show, probably the one at Hampton Court, which we have probably made more often than the one at Chelsea.

Reference 1: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2021/04/an-outing.html.

Reference 2: https://psmv3.blogspot.com/2017/08/bognor-three.html. Somebody else's lupin.

Reference 3: https://psmv3.blogspot.com/2017/06/flowers.html. The only other mention of lupins. Not turned up by the search box above, possibly because it was being literal and did not allow 'lupins' on a search term of 'lupin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment