Thursday 2 May 2019

CD's

I own maybe 25 CD's, having started buying such things about 10 years ago. Which is to be compared with about 10 feet of vinyl, spread over two (paranĂ¡ pine) shelves. These CD's were moved to a new spot in the corner of the study around six weeks ago, as noticed at reference 1.

Since their removal, I have not had occasion to peer at them until this evening, when I thought to look for Brahms' sextet (Op.18), for reasons which may be divulged in due course. As it turned out, my only copy of the sextet was on vinyl, not on CD at all. Which all goes to show that there is no pressing need to build a catalogue of my CD holdings.

Oddly, we do not appear to have actually heard this sextet, despite the vinyl sounding familiar, with the nearest thing being the Tchaikovsky sextet back in 2016.

But I was moved to inquire about paranĂ¡ pine, which I know as good stuff for making shelves, bookcases and such like. It turns out that it is an endangered species, otherwise known as the monkey puzzle tree and noticed at reference 3. We even have one growing in the front garden of a tree in our road. If I had known that it was endangered, I would have planted one myself, but it is a bit late now.

PS: for those that need to know, paranĂ¡ pine is not really a pine at all. No doubt there is some good reason why it came to be so named,

Reference 1: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2019/03/diy.html.

Reference 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucaria_angustifolia.

Reference 3: https://pumpkinstrokemarrow.blogspot.com/search?q=arlington+court.

No comments:

Post a Comment