Tuesday 21 May 2019

Voting

Reference 1 and long-standing leftiness notwithstanding, this to serve notice that I intend to vote for the Liberal Democrats on Thursday. Perhaps the second time that I have done such a thing, the last time possibly at the time when the Labour Party under Callaghan, in order to stay in some sort of power, was making shabby deals with Protestants of Northern Ireland.

No great fan of the Liberal Democrats, but they are a real political party and the only such party to have a clear policy for staying in the European Union - which, for all its faults, remains for me the best game in town.

Neither the House of Commons at large nor the Labour Party in small are showing any sign of backing the May compromise, which I continue to believe was a reasonable compromise for a badly split country to come to, so I might as well vote for the party which at least wants, on this important matter, what I want.

PS: I have been reminded by an episode from the Pallisers, mentioned in the previous post, that the introduction of the secret ballot was a major step forward in our political life here in the UK. With my parents taking the view that one should not make a parade of one's vote as this tended to erode that secrecy; a view formed, as I recall, by the more or less public voting of Nazis in Germany in the 1930's. If you insisted on voting in secret, you were clearly an enemy of the people and would be treated as such.

Reference 1: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2019/05/alien-cheese.html.

Reference 2: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2018/11/corbie-crow.html. Compromise thoughts from last November.

No comments:

Post a Comment