Tuesday 30 March 2021

More haggis

Following the foray into foreign haggis last noticed at reference 1, back with our regular haggis a week or so ago.

The day started with the usual spin around Jubilee Way, forgetting to put my helmet on on this occasion, not noticing until I was too far gone to go back for it. Like mobile phones, once you get used to the things, it feels quite odd not to have them - despite having managed without for more than forty years in the case of helmets. More or less unheard of when I was a child, except for the leather strappy things that some club cyclists wore, good for cuts and abrasion - but not so good, I imagine, for head on collisions with the road.

But I did score the No.27, noticed at reference 2.

Home to turn over the pages of one of our books about Eric Gill. He might have been a rum cove, but I found his economy of line in the drawing snapped above very impressive. Not something that I could ever manage, even in the days when I thought I could draw a bit.

So this haggis was from the people at reference 4, via the Sainsbury's at Kiln Lane. Clearly big operators in the haggis world, even running to veggie and coeliac options.

Looked well on the plate: moist, with plenty of barley. Taken with some of the wine from Alsace, from the place with the curious church, noticed at reference 5.

Followed by baby rhubarb, which went down very well on this occasion, with the whole boiling done at a sitting.

Followed by a spot of Schubert (D.960), followed by a 16 brick walk, double my usual effort on an afternoon after Jubilee Way. But then lost on penalty points at Scrabble.

Somewhere along the way I started to ponder on the illegality of cocaine. Collected up a number of interesting documents about same, some of which are listed above, but apart from the post at reference 3 below, they have remained in the pending tray since. In the meantime, my view that cocaine abuse might do lots of damage, but that ferocious criminal sanctions against use of a drug which lots of otherwise fairly decent people still want to use - and do still use - does a lot more damage, is unshaken. 

PS 1: readers need not worry about the use-by date (why not the more euphemistic best-by date?) on the snap of the haggis packet. BH reminds me that she buys them fresh - or at least fairly freshly cooked - and puts them in the freezer. A different part of the packet explains that freezing for up to a month is OK. While my thinking is that you can freeze food more or less for ever: it might degrade in taste and or texture, either on freezing or over time, but it will not become a danger to health.

PS 2: the next morning: in the course of making up bread batch 605, I noticed that the use-by date on the white flour, bought getting on for a year ago, was 12/20. While that on the brown flour, bought more recently, was 2/21. I have, in the past, heard a baker going on about the wonders of truly fresh flour, fresh off the stone, but I have not got to quite that pitch, quite yet.

Reference 1: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2021/03/discount-haggis.html.

Reference 2: http://psmv4.blogspot.com/2021/03/no27.html.

Reference 3: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2021/03/el-paso.html.

Reference 4: https://www.macsween.co.uk/.

Reference 5: https://psmv4.blogspot.com/2021/03/pfaffenheim.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment